Welcome To Club de Goa Brisbane

Beginnings of Club de Goa 1989

Brisbane’s Goan community heralded the opening of its new club with a fancy-dress ball. Goa is a small picturesque state on India’s west coast, which the Portuguese colonized 400 years ago. Brisbane is home to about 35 Goan families, most of whom live in the Holland Park/ Tarragindi area. Many of these people had made their homes in Uganda until dictator, Idi Amin, expelled all Indians and stripped them of their wealth in 1975. About 90% fled to Canada – the other 10% came to Australia. Goa Queensland President, Ruth de Barros said the major aim of the club was to provide a meeting place for the Goan people. “We are all Australians now and our children are Aussies,” Mrs. De Barros said. “But we don’t want them to forget their roots and their culture. It is so expensive to take them back to India for visits, so we decided to

About Us

Club de Goa is a non-profit organisation established in 1989 as an incorporated body to help preserve and promote Goan Culture, create a friendly spirit of understanding and co-operation between members and the people...

Latest News

Do you want to see more of our upcoming events. Click below

 

 

Membership

Not sure what to expect? Just have a look at a selection of photos to see what we have done over the years. Feel free to ask any of the committee members for more information or just contact us!

Facebook

Follow our page and stay up to date with the latest photos and events!

Latest News

Find out where the Club's next event will be and other great information.

Contact Us

Got a question or just need more information, send us an email now.